Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Combining Quotes Into A Poem

So, it didn't rain today, but it sure was cloudy and windy.... You could only see the sky when the clouds parted a little, but then they just covered everything up again. A few times, the sky just looked really beautiful because of the lighting and the way the clouds were..... I wish that I had a working camera so that I could have captured the image. It was amazing.
Ok, so I'm not working tonight, or tomorrow night, so today I, of course, got to stare at this computer screen all day. Just like I'm doing now..... I'm going to try and go to bed early tonight.
And in staring at this screen practically all day, I've gotten like two assignments done, one of which I had a little fun doing.....
It was this Poetic Definition Assignment... and it wanted me to look up three dictionary definitions of the word "poetry." Did that, not really that exciting though. Then it wanted me to combine those three definitions into one definition. Did that, not quite to the cool part yet..... Then I was supposed to find quotes about what other people thought poetry was. Getting warmer..... Here are the quotes that I got:

"Poetry is what gets us lost in translation." - Robert Frost
"Poetry is a deal of joy and pain and wonder, with a dash of dictionary." - Kahlil Gibran
"The poem is the point at which out strength gave out." - Richard Rosen
"Poetry is the language in which man explores his own amazement." - Christopher Fry
"Wanted: a needle swift enough to sew this poem into a blanket.." - Charles Simic

Those are the quotes that I chose, and for the next part, I was supposed to combine the quotes into a poem. This is the part that I really liked doing:

Lost in translation
of joy and pain and wonder,
our strength gave out;
which man explores his own amazement
enough to sew this poem into a blanket.

I don't know about you, but I really like it. Anyways, that's that.
Oh, and I actually did better today with what I do when taking breaks...... I had a lot of old school papers to go through, so I finally got some out and started working on those. While going through my old english notes, I found some poetry stuff that I was able to use for one of the assignments that I got done today. I also found some essays that I did in middle school and stuff that I totally forgot about. It was cool. I miss middle school. The assignments then were actually fun to do. Now its like, you get this done or you get an F..... No fun in that. The least teachers can do is make the assignments a little fun, even if we're high schoolers. It would be good to have fun while doing these hard assignments, before we get out in the real world and start doing the really hard stuff. Yeah......
Ok, well I think that I'm pretty much done with school for today, so I'm going to get ready for bed and go through somemore of my old school notes. Get rid of some stuff that I really don't need. I was actually able to use some of the old papers that I don't need as note pads. Its a good way to recycle. I just folded the paper in half, cut it, and then folded that again, cut it and stapled a certain amount of the paper together, which formed a note pad.
My Mom does it with hers, and so I thought, well, that's a good way to recycle..... Now I just need to get a blender and like a sort of window screen so that I can recycle the used paper and make more paper without having to buy more paper. Now that's a good way to recycle. Though I know what you would need to make new paper, I just don't know how to do it. And plus, I don't think that it would do very well through the printer. Though it would make a very cool card, if you added some like food coloring or something..... IDK
Ok, heading for more papers, so goodnight. And lets just see if it ends up raining tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment